[Zope3-dev] Missing ObjectContentModifiedEvent

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Tue May 31 07:02:32 EDT 2005

On 31 May 2005, at 12:39, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> That looks good to me. Especially because, using interfaces, we could
>> theoretically express more than just a set of attributes that have
>> changed on an object. I'm thinking of:
>>
>> - having the interface itself add semantics to what a subscriber
>> could
>>   want to do about the change (i.e., it could recognize
>>   IZopeDublinCore and decide to delay its work),
>>
>> - having the interface express more complex object structure than
>>   just a set of attributes (I'm thinking about XML Schema-derived /
>>   XForms interfaces, where you can represent deep structures).
>>
>> That's all science-fiction of course.
>>

> This is my concern :-)
>
> I'm seeing a lot of hypothesizing and we should instead be driven by
> hard requirements/use cases.

Ah no, I'm saying that in addition to fulfulling existing scenarios I
have, it also fulfills some fantasy ones :)

> IIR, the one definite requirement is to provide support for object
> versioning. But, as Jim's pointed out, this is probably better handled
> at a lowed level, since there's no guarantee *any* event model will be
> sufficient.

That's if you want things to be totally transparent, yes. Which is a
valid concern, but I'm not sure it's the most expressive choice for a
system. I wouldn't mind requiring have a small bit of cooperation
from objects if they want to be versioned properly.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com