[Zope3-dev] Re: XML header and TAL interpretor

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 1 14:04:08 EDT 2005

Andreas Reuleaux schrieb:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:44:48AM +0200, Tonico Strasser wrote:

>>And, as long pages are served as text/html they are treated as old-style
>>HTML by browsers anyway[1].
>>
>>XHTML pages served as text/html must follow the compatibility
>>guidelines[2]. E.g. in ZPT HTML mode, elements like <br/> will be
>>converted to <br /> automagically (with space before the slash). That is
>>a good thing IMHO.
>>
>>[1] Serving XHTML 1.0
>><http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/>
>>
>>[2] HTML Compatibility Guidelines
>><http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines>
>>
>>Tonico
>

> Tonico, I think you misunderstood something: While it is true that
> pages served as text/html are treated as HTML by browsers,
> there are still quite some differences how they treat the HTML,
> i. e. in which mode they operate (doctype switching).

After rereading your posting, I think I understand what you mean. If you
serve a XHTML page as text/html, a browser will treat this page as
HTML4.x *not* XHTML. I'm not talking about browser rendering modes.
That's why pages served as text/html should follow the XHTML
compatibility guidelines, I think.

You can test this, create a HTML page and insert a document.write with
JavaScript somewhere. You will notice, that it does not work in pages
served as application/xhtml+xml. (You must use a browser which
understands XHTML e.g. Mozilla, Opera or Konqueror).

Why document.write() doesn't work in XML
http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1091626816&count=1

Tonico