[Zope3-dev] Re: Selecting a code name

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Feb 7 14:41:20 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:32:52 -0800, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> Like it or not, Zope (2) seems to have a lot of stigma out there; Zope 3
> has been around a while. In actual fact, for a while I thought Zope 3.x
> was still just unfinished vapourware, waiting for the fabled Zope2
> integration (the dropping of the X) that people were talking about.

The way it was done was also incredibly unprofessional and created a lot
of confusion:

Quoting from
http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/Zope320:

"""
It is our opinion that Zope 3 is more than ready for production use, which
is why we decided to drop the X for experimental from the name.

"""

Problem is, the X was never about whether Zope was "ready for production
use" - it had been *explicitly assigned* as a marker that meant Zope 2
migration/support was not there yet. A lot of people actually believed
this would happen (as the Zope roadmap and PR spiel told them so), even
though all of us knew it wouldn't happen.

(I know the reasons, I know the plans for convergence, I know how Five
works - I'm just pointing out that this part made a lot of people lose
faith in Zope)