[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 lacks Ajax capability?

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Mon May 15 13:08:30 EDT 2006

Jeff Rush wrote:
> Just checking if I'm missing something -- with the removal of HTTP
> streaming/chunking in 3.2, this means that the async bi-directional
> persistent socket communications associated with Ajax is NOT possible
> at this time?  That a request/response must quickly run to completion
> on a thread and cannot hang on to that thread to asynchronously
> communicate with the client?
>
> I've been doing this in Twisted (actually Nevow's live page API) and
> had hoped to migrate some code over to Zope3.  Since Zope3
> incorporates Twisted, I'm wondering if I can beat on it enough to be
> able to run my Twisted code "underneath" the existing Zope3/Publisher
> arrangement.
>
> If anyone is currently doing Ajax in Zope3, I'd be interested in
> talking with them.  I saw a brief flurry of emails some months ago
> about adopting one of the existing Javascript frameworks and then
> adjusting Zope3's API to generically work with any such framework but
> no further discussion since.
>
> -Jeff

do you mean HTTP streaming? http://ajaxpatterns.org/HTTP_Streaming

I recently noticed something that makes it tricky to use zope3 in
conjunction with Ajax: the request ID computed from the browser via a
standard HTTP request/response pattern is different from the id obtain
with XMLHttpRequest calls - which makes it rather tricky to use zope3
session id with Ajax (the same browser is seen as 2 different browsers).

maybe setting up a page on the z3 wiki that lists current "issues" with
Ajax could be a good start?
/JM