[Zope3-dev] Re: We should be able to stop unhiding PyPI releases.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 22 11:01:06 EDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
> I would argue that hiding old releases is a major misfeature of PyPI,
> personally:  humans probably have as much to gain from seeing the
> older
> versions as scripts.

Agreed, although the UI degrades quite a bit when there are multiple
unhidden releases.  PyPI could use quite a bit of improvement.  The
place to get involved is the catalog sig. :)

>   Even "brown bag" releases should remain available
> (albeit, with perhaps some way to tag them as problematic).

Hidden releases are still available.

I certainly think there is value in hiding many old releases,
especially non-final ones, as long as the releases are still
available for download.

> Releasing a software package is a contract which implies more than
> "flavor of the week" status, at least in lots of circles.

It is important that releases remain available and finable by
setuptools.  The simple index achieves that.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org