[Zope3-dev] RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 24 14:31:47 EDT 2007

On 24 Aug 2007, at 19:55 , Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote at 2007-8-24 19:35 +0200:
>> Whitespace rules have a major impact on the readability of code.
>> Readability is a major point when we talk of code quality.
>> Readable code
>> does not make code automatically but good code has to be readable.
>
> Lots of whitespace does not make the code more readable for all
> persons -- it does not for me, for example.
>
> Other rules are more important:
>
>   *  use speaking names
>
>   *  ensure that a "unit" (e.g. a function definition) can been
> seen in its
>      whole
>
>   *  carefully document complex operations
>
>   *  combine a general overview with detailed source documentation.

These are all excellent points. THat doesn't mean that the right
usage of whitespace can't make code more readable.

Anyway, I think this will be my last response on the style guide
issue because we all are mostly on the same page, and we're we not
it's a matter of taste and that's hard to argue about.