[Zope3-dev] RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Benji York benji at zope.com
Sat Aug 25 09:48:49 EDT 2007

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Can someone please point out the major differences concerning Python code
> between PEP 8 and the Zope 3 style guide?

The primary differences are in method, attribute, function, and variable
names.  PEP 8 specifies lower_case_with_underscores.

Zope 3, more often than not (as noted by others, inconsistencies
exists), follows these conventions:

http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/ZopePythonNamingConventions specifies
CamelCase for "Public global variables" (not exactly sure what all that
encompasses) and lower_case_with_underscores for local variables.  The
same page prescribes mixedCase for module-level (non-factory) functions.

http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/ClassesAttributesMethods specifies mixedCase
for attributes and methods.

BTW: http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/CodingStyle (like most of the Wiki) is a
mess.  I may cut out some outdated chunks (including 5 year old
comments) if no one objects.  Are there any guidelines for the wiki?  I
looked but couldn't find any.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer