[Zope3-dev] Re: [Checkins] SVN: zope.testing/trunk/setup.cfg This file is a recipe for bad releases

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 30 07:34:51 EDT 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:26 PM, Baiju M wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Log message for revision 73922:
>> This file is a recipe for bad releases
>>
>> Changed:
>> D zope.testing/trunk/setup.cfg
>
> I am asking for a resolution here, do we want this file in svn for
> other packages ?

No, IMO, and since I am the primary maintainer of zope.testing, my
opinion counts here. :)

> In my experience I found this file is not required.

Worse, it's potentially harmful.. If you forget it's there, you could
end up releasing something with a version number other than what you
expect.

The only use case for which it is needed is using easy_install to
install an egg directly from subversion.  In understand that some
people want this, especially for unstable projects. For stable
projects, like zope.testing, I think it is more trouble than it's worth.

> To make a release with svn revision number
> just get the number from 'svn info' and copy-paste it in setup.py,
> then 'buildout setup . sdist'

Oh, you don't even need to do that.  You can get the version #
included automatically using the -r option to egg_info, as in:

   python setup.py egg_info -r sdist

Or, to also include "dev" in the version #:

   python setup.py egg_info -rb dev sdist

> I agree with Jim says in the log message.  Yes, it's YAGNI !

I wouldn't object if it was just a YAGNI.  It's a source of potential
mistakes.  YOu have to either remember to remove the file before a
release or remember a special command-line incantation to defeat it.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org