[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 2 09:49:40 EDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Your example:
>
>      You have release 1.1.
>
>      You start working on the next release: 1.2dev-r#####.
>
>      Someone fixes a bug in 1.1 and releases 1.1.1.
>
> With quite high probability, the bug fix should go as well into
> the 1.2 development.
>
> Thus, the problem you describe (1.1.1 is newer than 1.2dev-r####;
> but it treated as older then 1.2dev by 'setuptools')
> has an effect only for a very limited time -- the time until
> the fix (1.1 --> 1.1.1) went into the 1.2dev release, which
> would probably become some 1.2dev-r!!!!!.

Sure, but that time could stretch out quite a bit.  I suppose that
this problem somewhat inherent in having multiple release branches.
For example, whatever we do, there will always be the possibility
that an x.y.z release could have fixes in it that aren't in an x.y+1
release yet, especially if x.y is a non-final release.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation