[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Sep 9 12:39:45 EDT 2007

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> I'm hoping that Guido will see the errors of his ways, and introduce a
> Python 2.7 that has more forwards compatibility than what has been
> promised for 2.6, so that there can be a useable overlap between
> Python 2.7 and 3.0. Maybe a 3.1 with some more backwards compatibility
> will be needed to, I don't know.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not very close to the core Python/language community,
nor have I paid much attention to Py3K.

Has there been a strong statement that there won't be a Python 2.7 and
beyond? Will Python 2.x be actively killed off?

In the discussion on Python 2.x and 3.x compatibility, substitute the
word "Zope" for "Python" and think of the irony.

Maybe it would've been better if they'd called it Cobra 1.0. Then we
could've lived happily in our cohesive Python community. ;-)

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress