[BlueBream] detaching BlueBream from most of zope.app.*

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 3 16:19:54 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Does BlueBream intend to maintain the ZMI? If not, then I thikn there's
now a way to detach BlueBream from most of zope.app.* (at least for new
projects. Zope 3 projects that want to upgrade to BB would need the
zope.app.* packages until the code can be updated).

We worked this out for Grok but I thought I'd sketch it out here.

Grok now needs of zope.app.* only:

zope.app.appsetup
zope.app.wsgi
zope.app.publication
zope.app.http

I think BlueBream could also be set up to only use this set of packages.

In order to do this, the main thing we had to do was dump the dependency
on zope.app.zcmlfiles and zope.app.testing. To replace
zope.app.zcmlfiles you simply need to write a biiig ZCML file for the
standard BlueBream app (or some BlueBream library package) that includes
all the required ZCML. This ZCML should not need to include any
zope.app.* packages except the ones above, and of course the required
zope.* packages.

Replacing zope.app.testing: we've done the work for you in the
zope.app.* packages above (I think we still have an test dependency on
it in zope.app.http, the rest is free of it too). If you want to use
functional tests you can rewrite your tests to use the
zope.app.wsgi.testlayer infrastructure. This also includes a way to use
zope.testbrowser without zope.app.testing, through WSGI.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool development and wanted to share this
with the BlueBream people so that they can hopefully use this too.

Regards,

Martijn