[BlueBream] ZODB v SQL

Adam GROSZER agroszer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 08:33:04 EDT 2010

Hello John,

J> I'm no expert either, but folks do indeed use relational databases with
J> zope and bluebream.  However, zodb is the easiest way to start, is the
J> most convenient database to use with zope, can be used alongside an
J> rdbms, and works great for most uses on most sites.  Moving to thinner
J> ice.  Zodb is not meant for heavy concurrent writes, but is more than
J> adequate for configuration data.  There are zope packages (such as
J> z3c.sqlalchemy) that attempt to ease the transition from zodb to an
J> rdbms by making rdbms's look more like zodb.  I don't know the status or
J> difficulty of porting those packages to bluebream.

J> In short, if you're gathering info on various web frameworks, certainly
J> don't regard zope/bluebream as being unable to talk to rdbms's--it can.
J> Good luck!

J> Brian Lockwood wrote:
>> Hi, I am new to this but exploring. IANAE!
>>
>> Simple question.
>>
>> My understanding is that the way to use zope3/bluebream for an
>> application is to use zodb and not to use it (Blebream/zope) as a way
>> of fronting an sql database application.
>>
>> Is that right or is it way more complex than that?

I'd definitely start with ZODB (unless I'd know beforehand the
expected hits and load). Most of the time it just works, and
developing wiht ZODB ist sooo much simpler.
Thinking a bit about objects and classes beforehand does not hurt.
E.g. don't put all the data into one huge object if only one property
changes often. I think there was a thread about such good practices on
zodb-dev (https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev/).

Later if you see that ZODB becomes the bottleneck, there still might
be some place to optimize, then you can think about switching the
database... sql, nosql whatever fits the project.

--
Best regards,
 Adam GROSZER                            mailto:agroszer at gmail.com
--
Quote of the day:
The casting down of our spirits in true humility is but like throwing a ball to the ground, which makes it rebound the higher toward heaven.