[BlueBream] BlueBream TTW

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 01:10:59 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:17:12 PM Joshua Immanuel wrote:
> I see almost everyone in this mailing list are from Zope 2 background.
> There are some unanswered questions on my mind. I would be very grateful
> if someone enlightens me on this.

That's because the people that started Zope 3 (including me) wanted to change
the short-comings of Zope 2.

> Why people haven't moved from Zope 2. Even worse, they continue their
> development towards Zope 4.

Because Plone is built on it. And Plone is still one of the most popular OSS
projects out there. Zope 4 will be basically the bare bones of Zope 2 that is
needed for Plone to keep running.

> The glory of Bluebream is (seemingly) fading out rapidly in spite of its
> well designed architecture. Why? (Or is it just my perception)

Well, Bluebream is one configuration to build an app server using the various
toolkits. Unfortunately, for whatever reason Christophe and Baju are not
driving its development as hard anymore. That said, I use the library stack
all the time and so does Zope Corp. We simply do not start with the Bluebream
recipes, but build out own buildout.cfg and application.zcml.

> Is there any major downfalls in bluebream or in other words, are there
> any added merits in Zope 2 that makes people to stick to it (other than
> the fact that Plone is based on it).

No, not architecturally. Zope 3 does have a cleaner architecture than Zope 2,
which sometimes makes it for people harder to grasp at first. Though I have
recently started to work with someone coming from the Java Web framework world
and he has no trouble dealing with Zope 3's component architecture. ;-)

> If so many bluebream (ZTK) features are backported (or used) in Zope 2.
> Then we might as well merge them completely and have the benefits of
> both and eradicate the shortcomings in them. Is that feasible?

No. The overhead that Zope 2 imposes would be unacceptable to me. You really
have to build a Zope 2 and Bluebream "Hello World" app and you will understand
the reasons quickly.

Regards,
Stephan
--