[BlueBream] How to simplify Zope 3 development

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Sep 6 20:46:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 2012-09-05 07:01:25 +0000, Thierry Florac said:

> Hi,
>
> Le Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:31:29 -0500,
>   Christopher Lozinski <lozinski at freerecruiting.com> a �crit:
>
>> Don't use the Zope Component Architecture.
>>
>> Sure use the libraries that come with it, but just do you own app in
>> python on the ZODB.
>>
>> Of course if you are building Twisted, which runs on multiple
>> operating systems, with multiple protocols, transport layers,
>> reactors, developers and dependent libraries, then ZCA is the way to
>> go.
>>
>> But I just want to build simple websites, single developer, single
>> server, a few classes.  I want them to be quick and easy to get up and
>> running.  Python and ZODB are best for that.  I can happily loose ZCA,
>> Interfaces, Registers, ZCML, subclassing Folders just to be able to
>> add a class, and lot more of the Zope 3 complexity, while keeping all
>> of the underlying rich and wonderful libraries.
>>
>> Or can I?   Now I just have to figure out how to do this.  In
>> particular I do need security, and would like to use Zope Schema.  Of
>> course I will keep Twisted and Zope dispatch.
>
> If you want to use Python and ZODB without ZCA "complexity" for simple
> projects, there are probably two tracks to follow :
>  - GROK, which is based over Zope 3 but simplifies many operations
>  - Pyramid, which *can* use ZODB and is very "open-minded" (ZODB or
>    not, ZCML or not, ZCA or not...) !

My take is similar (as someone who does not follow Bluebream very closely):

- You are complaining because in order to create a "Bluebream app" one
needs to understand the ZCA. If for no other reason, then to follow the
steps of "Hello World" in bluebream (is there such a thing?)

- You are suggesting now that Bluebream rid itself of the ZCA
complexities a la pyramid.

Grok avoids ZCA complexity by moving ZCML to Python. Pyramid avoids it
by completly hiding it from the "end user" (developers). A move or
focus on this approach for Bluebream probably makes sense, though I
don't know anything about the logistics of doing so.

Nits:

- Zope 3 is dead[1], long live Bluebream, the ZCA, ZTK, etc. !

Alex

[1] Confusingly, there may end up being a Zope 4…

Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com