[ZF] Zope Development Process

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Sep 25 20:47:28 EDT 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 17:44, Jim Fulton wrote:
> I wonder what projects there should be.  Do we need want many
> projects?  Some obvious projects are Zope 2, Zope 3, and ZODB.  What
> about smaller efforts?  Should ZConfig be a separate project?  If not,
> what project does it fall under.  It is used by all 3 of Zope 2, Zope
> 3, and ZODB.  What about a project like zc.buildout?  Should the
> repsository contain code that doesn't fit under any project?  For
> example, zc.ngi is an experimental testable networking library that I
> plan to use in ZEO someday.  Should that be in the repository?  Should
> it be a project? Should the packages in the zc (or z3c or lovely)
> namespaces be their own projects? Should each namespace be a project?

I think that for certain namespaces, like lovely and z3c should be their own
projects. Most packages in those namespaces are really small and a project
per package would be tremendous overkill. If a package in a namespace takes
off, a separate project can be created for this particular package any time.

I think it would be sensible that Zope Corp. forms manages the zc namespace
project and Lovely Systems the lovely namespace. The companies could be
responsible for electing the project manager/lead. This lead clearly would
*not* need to be an employee of the respective company.

I think a similar approach could be taken for the z3c namespace. The group of
people contributing to the namespace is pretty well defined and I think those
developers could come up with an initial project lead.

In general, I would love to see pretty much all Zope related packages live in
the ZF repository. The reasons are obvious and reach from licensing to
visibility.

One issue, that you alluded to, is how a package can move from one project to
another. For example, I would like to move z3c.baseregistry into the core and
thus the next release. Do we need process for this? Or can this be done
informally?

Regards,
Stephan
--