[ZF] Becoming a member

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 28 05:50:57 EDT 2006

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> No, as good as now. As currently written, the ZF docs don't let people
>>> become members until they have made substantial contributions.
>> A big part of me thinks this is a good thing.
>>
>> I'd much prefer people just submit patches to a tracker that apply
>> easily before we let them loose on a stable code base like the Zope 2
>> core...
>
> I agree with Chris in principle.  I wonder how practical this is, though.
>
> Is there a way to allow people to work on branches in SVN, but not merge
> to the Trunk?
>
> This is how I work on projects using Bazaar -- it's easy to let people
> work using all the usual revision control features, but have a separate
> authorization required to merge to the mainline or a branch for a
> product release.
>
> I don't know enough about SVN to know if a similar thing is possible there.

Yes, it's possible with svn to give someone commit privileges only to a
certain area (e.g. not the trunk). Not sure if it's supported with
svn+ssh, though.

I personally use 'svk' [1] for personalized (and local) branches of
things. It's a subversion client that replaced the standard 'svn'
program. svk allows you to make local branches of remote repositories
and therefore work decentralized (independent from repository access). I
use it *a lot*.

[1] http://svk.elixus.org/