[ZF] Re: Status update for documents

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Apr 23 06:06:57 EDT 2007

Hey,

[whoops, forgot to  cc to the foundation list. Christian will get two copies]

> > The Foundation needs to have the ability to give people commit rights
> > to the repositories, or, say, access to whatever CMS the foundation is
> > running, or even sysadmin rights on a foundation machine, without this
> > person having to become a foundation members and sign a foundation
> > membership form. We need a minimal procedure here. This procedure
> > should allow the Foundation to safeguard the copyright of the
> > contributions, so would still require a signature to something. It's
> > just full membership should not be required.
> >
> > People who have contributed a lot should have the option to become a
> > contributor member (we intend to rename "committer member" to
> > "contributor member", so you should be doing this in the documents :).
> > Contributor members are members of the foundation.
> >
> > So, we have contributors. And we have contributor members. The latter
> > is a subset of the former.
>
> Right. However we also have a dead lock that we need to remove but I
> don't know the specifics.

The deadlock may be (perhaps this is clear to you; I'm not sure so I'm
just spelling it out):

* to a contributor, you need to have (commit, etc) access to the system

* to get access to the system, you need to be a contributor member

* in order to be a contributor member, you need to show past contributions.

* that's kind of hard to do without contributor access

This doesn't block *existing* contributors from becoming members, but
what about new members?

Having a way for someone to become a contributor without being a
contributor member would break this deadlock.

We also need some text describing how it is decided who becomes a
contributor, and how it is decided who becomes a contributor member. I
think we should make those processes as light-weight as we can get
away with.

Regards,

Martijn