[ZF] LWN: Fedora7 dropping Zope due to Python 2.5 incompatibility

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 10 08:52:55 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 1:50 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> According to this article:
>
>   http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/233347/3bfae735b0e102ff/

It's a shame that no where in this discussion did someone ask why
Python 2.5 broke Zope.  Oh well, such is life.

> Anybody else think we need to look into this?

I'm sure everyone does, as long as the "we" doesn't include them.  :)
It's a matter of priorities.  I'd much rather work on some projects
that are far more important to me, such as finishing the transition
to eggs or giving some much needed love to ZODB (including making it
work with Python 2.5), to say nothing of tasks that pay bills.  I'm
sure other have similar priority issues.  That isn't to say that
Python 2.5 won't become a top priority to me eventually. Maybe it
will become a top priority to someone else sooner. There is a Google
SoC project to address Zope/Python 2.5 compatibility issues.
Hopefully, this will bear fruit.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org