[ZF] LWN: Fedora7 dropping Zope due to Python 2.5 incompatibility

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 10 10:46:37 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I don't think we need to be calling the Fedora developers "trolls" in
this discussion. I can see where they don't want to support Python 2.4
if Zope is the only thing holding it back.

It's also a marketing issue. Zope just made the news as a system
that's lagging behind other Python software and causes controversy in
Fedora. That's not really optimal. :) That doesn't mean Zope's
strategy of slowly upgrading to the next Python is a bad one -
stability is more important than the latest Python features and we
need to marshal our community resources carefully.

I realize that we can only do something about this on the longer term
with Zope 2 and Zope 3 - hopefully by the end of the year we'll be
ready for the shift. We do have a google summer of code student who
hopefully will tackle the Zope 3 bits.

Regards,

Martijn