[ZF] Proposal: Launchpad code hosting for ZF projects; free commercial support for migration

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Fri Feb 27 10:59:49 EST 2009

Hi, Chris.

On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Gary Poster wrote:
>> Launchpad would really like to provide code hosting for the Zope
>> Foundation.
>
> This, unfortunately, means using bzr.
>
> Other people may disagree, but bzr is not mature yet, particularly
> when
> it comes to GUI tools, particularly on Windows.
>
> I would be really upset to lose all that is offered by TortoiseSVN in
> terms of introspection of the revision tree, visual diffing over
> periods
> of time, etc.

I take it that http://bazaar-vcs.org/TortoiseBzr is insufficient in
some way?  I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like what you
describe.

> I reckognise that I'm probably in the minority on that front, but
> where
> I may not be in the minority is in needing to learn a new source
> control
> system, which seems like a needless barrier to entry.

A fair concern.  I found the switch to be truly trivial, myself.  The
commands are very similar, and also generally much more powerful.  YMMV.

> I'm also generally
> wary of distributed source control systems

As I mentioned in the initial email, bzr's workflow is very flexible,
and can match SVNs, if the community desires.

> and would certainly prefer to
> see "one master repository" whatever the decision is.

That (or something similar) is generally the case, even with
distributed workflows.

Gary