[ZF] Roadmap needed

Roger Ineichen roger at projekt01.ch
Mon Mar 2 11:11:05 EST 2009

Hi Martijn

> Betreff: Re: [ZF] Roadmap needed
>
> Hi there,
>

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Roger Ineichen
> <roger at projekt01.ch> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I think we should write our ideeas down and at least
> publish a roadmap
> > for our zope users. They should be able to see what we do
> and why we
> > do or change things. It's almost impossible to follow our
> discussions
> > based on reading the mailinglist because there is to much going on.
>
> Have you seen this?
>
> http://svn.zope.org/zope3docs/source/migration/34to35.rst
>
> That's not a road map but a trail of what we've *done*, but
> should help reduce some confusion. We've used this kind of
> method for 2 years now for Grok and we've had few complains
> while we reorganized and rewrote large parts of Grok over that period.

that's great

> I think a roadmap is hard to write as it depends on volunteer
> efforts and that is hard to predict. What I do think we
> should have is a group of people that can keep a form of
> general direction and priorities in their head and distill
> this from the community, and encouraging us to write this
> down. I think zope3docs is a good start for keeping a record.

I think someting like a roadmap is usefull for us as developers.
This would allow us to see what other developer will
do as next and it will prevent to do the same in different
packages. It doesn't have to be a real roadmap which we have
to follow. It's more a kind of what we "like" to do as next.
It will give other developers some ideas where they can help
because they probably do not know what's missing. It will
also give a good idea about what developer think should be
done in the near future.

btw,
there are items in the launchpad Zope 3 bugtracker
which are marked with "Wishlist" in the "Importance"
column. Probably this is something I'm taking about?

> I'll have a lot more to say about this very soon on zope-dev.

yeah!

Regards
Roger Ineichen