[ZF] Board candidate introduction

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Feb 3 14:30:10 EST 2010

Hi,

Joining in with the other candidates I will try to introduce myself and
explain succinctly what my goals are for Zope and the Zope Foundation in
the next time.

I joined the Zope community at some point during the year 2001 and found
myself getting involved more and more at various ends: developing Zope
core code, the early Zope 3 sprints, various smaller and larger open
source packages.

I co-founded the German-speaking Zope Users Group as an official
association in Germany and served on the board and as chairman since the
beginning. My work there involves communicating ideas form the Zope
developers as they happen with other people that aren't involved in the
development directly but help with making Zope known and accessible
within Germany.

My day-to-day job is as a software developer, systems administrator and
CEO at "gocept", a company that specialized in Zope very early, is very
open-source/free software centric, and substantially helps developing
and spreading the word about Zope in general.

Since last year I also served on the board of the Zope foundation and
helped with the ongoing maintenance of the SVN repository including
establishing a newly documented approval process and performing the
technical parts of the changed copyright ownership attribution (which
isn't completed yet due to currently incomplete discussions about legal
requirements/implications).

In my introduction last year I said (paraphrasing myself here) that I'd
like to make the development and community processes more transparent
and fluent and to help making the results of our work more accessible to
"non-Zope" people.

A lot has happened along those lines with the introduction of the ZTK
and the steering group. Alas, a lot more work is required to achieve a
sustainable and transparent process and to improve on our patterns of
communication and collaboration: many people (especially Martijn Fassen)
had to deal with a lot of stress while trying achieve common goals.

I hope that in the near future we can identify and resolve the issues
that cause those problems.

As a specific measure, I'd like to continue with Martijn's idea of
having a face-to-face meeting among the developers from zope-dev during
2010 which we should use to both discuss the meta-issues that are so
hard to deal with on mailing lists and to develop a common understanding
of what the core of Zope is (i.e. define the ZTK).

Christian

PS: This mail sounds awfully political. If someone meets me in person --
please make sure I don't talk like that.

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com