[ZF] manuel access

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 14:31:30 UTC 2013

On 20/02/2013 14:18, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Benji York<benji at benjiyork.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Stephan Richter
>> <stephan.richter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi Benji,
>>>
>>> could I have access to manuel on PyPI, so I can add some Trove classifiers?
>>>
>>> BTW, I just moved manuel to Github.
>>
>> [I have copied the ZF list so we can get this straightened out.]
>>
>> I never really intended Manuel to be a ZF project but I didn't think
>> that through very well because it shouldn't have been put in
>> svn.zope.org or under the ZPL.  Also, there have been non-ZF
>> contributors.
>>
>> Does anyone really want Manuel as a ZF project? (Docs at
>> http://pythonhosted.org/manuel/ if you have no idea what we are talking
>> about.)  I would rather it not be.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I agree that it doesn't make sense for manuel to be a ZF project.

+1 from me too, however I guess it legally is, given that's where Benji
put it, and I believe he was a ZC employee at the time...

> I think there should be a process for moving projects out of the ZF.

For this one, can I suggest the following lightweight process:

Benji forks from the zopefoundation repo on GitHub.

Someone from Zope Foundation (Stefan?) then does a commit in the
zopefoundation GitHub repo that deletes all files on master and replaces
with a README.txt pointing to Benji's fork.

Work then happens in Benji's repo going forward, and he controls who has
access to what.

That would seem to leave a clear audit trail and a clear indication that
Manuel is Benji's baby, as he's put all the work into it...

cheers,

Chris

PS: Should the same thing have happened with zc.buildout? I guess it's a
moot point now :-)

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk