[Grok-dev] large changes in formlib handling

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Dec 1 13:08:01 EST 2006

Hi there,

I've just performed a large checkin changing quite a bit about grok
deals with formlib level forms. From the checkin message:

  A lot of work on formlib support. Implementation by Martijn, after
  extensive discussions with JW.

  Previously, we were subclassing zope.formlib.form.*Form. This lead to
  rather grotty name conflicts with our basic grok View - view gives
  the names 'template', and 'render' special meaning, but formlib does
  also.

  Instead of untying this hairiness, we decided to use composition instead
  of inheritance; instead of subclassing formlib's form, we now have
  a 'form' attribute that contains the real formlib-level form.

  New features:

  * custom templates for forms. Get formlib specific information such
    as widgets and actions from the 'form' attribute of the view.

  * new barebones default templates for EditForm and DisplayForm

  * can completely override a form's behavior by using form_fields on
    EditForm or DisplayForm.

I expect we'll have a few smaller issues to sort out, but I think
we're on a much more solid basis now concerning forms.