[Grok-dev] addressbook ldap dependency

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Oct 20 04:55:44 EDT 2006

Hi there,

Cool that there is an addressbook application now, but unfortunately I'm
incapable of using it so I can't see what it does. Right now it appears
to be impossible for anyone outside of Gocept to properly use the
addressbook application, as it depends on the gocept LDAP server. People
who don't read the README.txt initially (I didn't) will just go to the
addressbook app in the ZMI and then have Zope just hang.

This suggests to me that the addressbook application as it stands should
not be a demo application of grok. That is, it should not be within the
grok SVN package. It can be a test-bed application specific to Gocept
but it can't be a general test-bed application.

To have 1 out of 2 applications inside of grok to be effectively
untestable by anyone playing with grok is just bad. You could move it
into its own package (with some adjustments and an svn:external pointing
to grok you can make the buildout work too), or make it completely
independent of ldap.