[Grok-dev] Re: Using 'if object' evaluates false - container objects

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Apr 13 05:40:32 EDT 2007

Darryl Cousins wrote:
> This mail on zope3-users
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-users/2007-April/006032.html turned
> up just a few days after I found I needed to change a similar statement
> in grok/component.py in Traverser class:
>
>         if IReadContainer.providedBy(self.context):
>             item = self.context.get(name)
>             if item:
>                 return item
>
> Should 'item' be an empty container it should read:
>
> 	    if item not None:
> 		return item
>
> Comments?

Yes, just doing "if obj" when you really want to check if it's None is
evil for precisely that reason. I once fixed an occurrence of this bug
in Grok, it seems I missed this one. Feel free to fix this (along with
an ftest).

I also just realized that the Traverser looks up things in the opposite
order than Zope 3 does (first views, then subitems). This should
certainly be fixed (and ftested).

Regarding the XXX comment above the code in question: this *is* normal
Zoep traversal behaviour. Every traversal adapter in Zope3 has to do
these steps.