[Grok-dev] Re: grok in the egg universe

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Apr 16 12:51:04 EDT 2007

Hey,

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
>> I'd still propose grokcore to be a namespace package. For testing
>> purposes I'd really like a grokcore.component that only dealt with the
>> core component architecture and didn't need to import anything from,
>> say, formlib, or zope.app.
>>
>> This is in fact the concrete use case that drove this thinking. Having
>> grokcore.component will help us with compatibility. If I release a new
>> Zope 3 component that grokked its adapters (and only that), people
>> would be much more likely to start using it if it didn't pull in the
>> whole of, say, zope.app. Such a component would be functionally
>> equivalent to a Zope 3 package with the equivalent ZCML.
>
> Ok, as long as
>
> * the 'grok' package makes all that default stuff available

> * the documentation doesn't confuse users with a gazillion different
>   packages with slightly different naming. What I'm trying to say is
>   that the docs should also *advise* importing things from 'grok'.

> I guess I'm preaching to the choir here anyway... :)

Yup, I agree completely. It's good to state it clearly.

grokcore.* packages are for advanced usage only. It's good development
practice to factor things out into multiple packages. That's what this
proposal is about: it has benefits.

It's *also* good development practice to offer a simple easy API to do
the common stuff. The latter is what Grok is trying to add to Zope 3, so
we shouldn't throw that out. :)

>>> The first step we could do is make Grok depend on the Zope eggs and
>>> see how that works. As far as breaking things is concerned, you
>>> mentioned that the grok package would still provide a common imports
>>> for stuff from grokcore, so even here the breakage would be limited...
>>
>> Yes, but we can't do it with the trunk,
>
> Not sure what you mean here.

I just mean we should do this on the branch until this method is mature
enough. That may indeed be very soon as you say below.

>> and the ability to run the whole Zope server from eggs is very new
>> right now.
>
> True, but if it works... :)

Agreed. I would have no objection to move Grok over into the New Eggy
World as soon as possible.