[Grok-dev] Re: applyChanges and add forms

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Apr 16 13:00:09 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 4/16/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
[snip]
> > Ah, okay. We should allow applyChanges to continue working but
> > raise a deprecation warning when we use it then. It's in use in too
> > many places to suddenly break again, I think. :)
>
> I'm not too fond of deprecation anymore, especially if we haven't had
> a release yet. We don't even have a deprecation policy. I hate
> deprecation cruft.
>
> I'd be fine if we'd say "let's deprecate it for 2 weeks", though I
> don't even see the point. The change is purely mechanical, we haven't
> proposed to change the signature.

I don't like deprecation cruft either, so I'm fine for deprecating
this for, say, about a month. It's just to give people a clue what to
do when their code breaks. :)

[snip]
> Sounds like applyData in add forms want to do the
> > real minimum to just set attributes based on the schema.
>
> Yup.

By the way, formlib's applyChanges does all kinds of adapter lookup.
The use case is..um.. I guess when you have an edit form for a schema
that's only available as an adapter to the original object.

I guess our AddForm.applyData does need to support that use case, right?