[Grok-dev] Re: registering a factory as a (global) utility

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Apr 25 16:28:45 EDT 2007

Hey,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> It's still useful to have this for global utilities, though. I propose
> the following alternate directive to do this:
>
> grok.global_utility_object(Item, provides=IMyFactory)
>
> I chose a separate directive because making global_utility take either a
> factory or an instance requires all kinds of extra checks and is not as
> readable as having a separate directive. I'm not sure I'm happy about
> the name though.

Thinking about this some more, I've changed my mind, and I think we
should do:

grok.global_utility(Item, provides=IMyFactory, factory=True)

This will allow us to define a factory=True argument for local
utilities. The effect in both cases will be that the first argument
won't be called but registered directly.