[Grok-dev] viewlets, pagelets and friends

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Wed Aug 8 23:10:48 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 00:17 +0200, Luis De la Parra wrote:
> hello,
>
> can somebody tell me what the current status on
> viewlets/pagelets "integration" in grok is?
>
> I think I once saw something about a branch in grok itself for supporting
> these, plus I've found a package called megrok.quarry, plus one other I
> don't remember the name (but I think it was also in zope's svn), and now I
> just found the "mars library".
>
> My impression now is that the mars library is the most up-to-date / actively
> maintained.. but I don't know.

Fair call. I don't know either. The mars packages grew out a desire to
replicate z3c.formdemo using grok/martian. Mars makes configuration more
explicit than with vanilla grok and I doubt would ever be integrated
into grok (partly also because the grok namespace would grow way to
large with declarations and components).

The mars.formdemo package uses mars eggs from pypi and I believe is
still stable.

http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/darrylcousins/mars.formdemo

I've been intermittedly working on

http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/darrylcousins/tfws.website

but I'm using develop-eggs for the mars packages which have undergone
some changes (and refractoring - eg addition of mars.form) as a result
of answering use cases that have come to light while working on
tfws.website.

I think the mars packages are stable enough to experiment with but I
would advise using the checkout and installing mars packages as develop
eggs, at least until I make a new egg release (which will probably only
happen when I am satisfied with tfws.website). Examples of their use can
be found in mars.formdemo and tfws.website.

[Aside - I'm removing my branch from svn.zope.org/grok/branches in a day
or two]

http://www.tfws.org.nz/mars

(Website itself a grok application)

Hope that helps.