[Grok-dev] buildout and download errors [was: admin-UI: merge tonight]

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Aug 16 08:41:10 EDT 2007

Hello Grokkers,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.08.2007, 12:10 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
Weitershausen:
> > This is your last chance for complaints ;-)
>
> Here's one: I get a test failure (this is after an 'svn up' and
> bin/buildout -n):

Thanks for the report, Philipp! The tests seem to work properly :-)

I fixed that. It was caused by changed behaviour of martian.scan, which
does not scan 'test*' directories any more, right?

My main failure, however, was, that I did not properly updated the
installed eggs before checking in.

This in turn was caused by my laziness and the problems I run into when
I start 'buildout -n'. Buildout then will start to check installed eggs,
but after a few eggs it constantly runs into 'download errors' of
different types: somtimes I get '403 forbidden', most often simply :

	Download error: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

This is *not* reproducable in a strict manner. When I restart the
procedure, buildout will hang at a different or the same location (egg)
with a different (or same) error message. Unpredictable and nearly no
chance to go through the whole process :-/ (sidenote: during buildout
runs the network is nearly unreachable for other clients/services).

My 'solution' for that is rather time consuming: I delete or move all
eggs and start over with an empty eggs directory, doing 'buildout'
without '-n' option. I then run into the same (unpredictable) errors,
but when I restart buildout, already fetched eggs won't be fetched
again, eggs which in the last run raised a download error might properly
be fetched and so I have a chance to complete the whole process (after
30+ restarts of buildout).

Is this is a bug? Am I the only one with that problems? Do I have a
weird network setup? Should I change my buildout setup?

Cheers,

--
Uli