[Grok-dev] Re: buildout and download errors [was: admin-UI: merge tonight]

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Aug 16 11:20:01 EDT 2007

Hello again,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.08.2007, 14:49 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
Weitershausen:
> On 16 Aug 2007, at 14:41 , Uli Fouquet wrote:

> I suppose that's right. Thanks for fixing. I can confirm it works now.

Glad to hear that :-) Thanks for the report!

> > [snip: Download errors with buildout]

> I have never experiences this problem. It smells like a connection or
> DNS failure of some sort.

You were right. In the log of the outer firewall I found:

proto=53/udp src=80.136.74.216 dst=217.237.150.115 msg=Ceiling for
number of connections reached, dropping packet Src 1390 Dst 53 from SELF
n/w

It seems, the firewall was overwhelmed by DNS requests. The same
apparently often happens with bitTorrent and similar tools when using
this sort of hardware (a Linksys firewall). I should go back to a
self-maintained, Linux-box as firewall or setup a local, more
intelligent DNS.

Is there a chance to limit the amount of simultaneous DNS requests in
buildout? Or to get the names of failed eggs displayed when running
buildout without '-v'?

> It seems strange that you have to get rid of all the existing eggs.
> You probably don't have to do that, especially since below you write
> that buildout *can* resume an aborted installation (which to my
> experience works very well).

Right, again.

> I have no idea what the problem is. Is anybody else getting these
> problems? I certainly have never seen them, not on my machine nor on
> others.
>
> What's your ~/.buildout/default.cfg?

Now it's:

[buildout]
index = http://download.zope.org/ppix
eggs-directory = /home/uli/buildout-eggs
newest = false
download-cache = /home/uli/eggs/download-cache

and yes, with ppix it works much smoother (although still errors occur,
but *far* less than before). Thanks for the hint! Now I know where to
catch the problem :-) Sorry for the off-topic.

> By the way, a *great* way to speed up the "buildout -n" process or
> the first time buildout runs is to use ppix, http://download.zope.org/
> ppix (the page constains instructions on how to use it with Buildout).

Good hint! Use it, guys!

Cheers,

--
Uli