[Grok-dev] thoughts while writing a tutorial

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Sat Aug 18 03:38:34 EDT 2007

> So now I am busy writing a simple first tutorial on navigation to
> objects that are not persistent in the ZopeDB, but which are created
> on-demand when the user tries to look at them.
>
> Some questions have come up that I need guidance on.
>
>  - What should I call this sort of object?  Several names suggest
>    themselves, but I want to use just one main one through the
>    tutorial:
>
>     "On-demand objects"?
>     "Dynamic objects"?
>     "Non-persistent objects"?
>     "Non-ZopeDB objects"?
>     "Ephemeral objects"?
>     "Transient objects"?

They are called Model objects. Any object which provides methods and
attributes to your Views are Model objects, regardless of whether the
objects were persisted through the ZODB,  persisted in a relational
database, or parsed on-demand from a text file you fetched using gopher.

In Martijn's Grok Tutorial in the "A view for a model" section he
discusses a non-ZODB Model object which has a single method returning
static data. I would re-read that section of the tutorial for further
guidance :)

http://grok.zope.org/tutorial.html#models