[Grok-dev] admin ui: "you can use".. messages

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Aug 18 14:24:18 EDT 2007

Hi there,

In the documentation browser, I see texts like this:

"You can use import zope.app  to make the elements of this package
available in your application or component."

"Use from grok.components import Adapter to make the functionality of
this class available in your application or component."

I don't think it's the job of docgrok to teach people how to do Python
programming. The information appears redundant to me too. It's also not
complete: I could import Adapter like this:

from grok import components

class MyAdapter(component.Adapter):
    pass

It's often actually wrong. When we want people to use grok.Adapter, we
*don't* want them to import it from grok.components directly - it's an
implementation detail.

I therefore propose we get rid of this autogenerated text completely
People should be able to figure out where to import things from by just
looking at the paths instead.