[Grok-dev] admin ui: displaying application docstrings

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Aug 18 15:19:56 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 18.08.2007, 20:19 +0200 schrieb Martijn Faassen:

> I'm not sure whether displaying the docstring in the UI is a very good
> idea. When we wrote that docstring we certainly weren't thinking it
> would be displayed, which is why 'which contains all the wiki pages' was
> written - this is mostly an implementation detail.

No wonder you didn't think of it: the docstring simply was not displayed
in the UI ;-)

> So is using docstrings a good idea for this? Perhaps we should start
> thinking about a mechanism where we can declare admin UI visible texts
> for Grok objects (applications in particular, but perhaps other aspects
> of the admin UI also need this). I imagine this could be related to Zope
> 3's menu mechanism.

Is this a problem for others too? It affects only ``IApplication``
classes, i.e. developers, which use grok. Those developers will almost
certainly have an admin-UI available and see their docstring. So, they
might change their docstrings to give a proper description. This can
quickly be done and does not require a developer to get used to another
'documentation-system' beside docstrings. Furthermore it might encourage
developers to give a documentation string to their ``grok.Application``,
when they see, that every other application has a pretty description but
their own not.

Should I anyway disable displaying of application docstrings?

Kind regards,

--
Uli