[Grok-dev] admin ui: displaying application docstrings

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Aug 18 20:09:19 EDT 2007

One more thing concerning the application docstrings:

Am Samstag, den 18.08.2007, 20:19 +0200 schrieb Martijn Faassen:

> I'm doing work on the grok trunk which means I get confronted with the
> admin UI.
>
> Adding an application has the following text:
>
>    grokwiki.wiki.Wiki
>
>      This is our wiki application wich contains all wiki pages.
[snip]
> I'm not sure whether displaying the docstring in the UI is a very good
> idea.
[snip]

Only the 'heading' of the docstring is rendered::

class MyApp(grok.Application):
  """A foo application to bar things."""
  pass

will read::

  'A foo application to bar things'

in the UI. But this::

class MyApp(grok.Application):
  """A foo application to bar things.

  When I was six years old I noticed an emptiness in my life
  for the first time. It was a hard childhood until one day a
  new comrade entered my life, who was brave, friendly and was
  always wearing a big club to smash problems. This day, a sad
  and rainy Friday, I will never forget, because I was about
  For the technical part:
  A foo is widely misunderstood as a bar of bazzes.
  """
  pass

in the UI will also read::

  'A foo application to bar things'

So there is enough space for technical remarks.

Uli