[Grok-dev] Re: admin ui: displaying application docstrings

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Aug 20 06:00:17 EDT 2007

Uli Fouquet wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether displaying the docstring in the UI is a very good
>> idea. When we wrote that docstring we certainly weren't thinking it
>> would be displayed, which is why 'which contains all the wiki pages' was
>> written - this is mostly an implementation detail.
>
> No wonder you didn't think of it: the docstring simply was not displayed
> in the UI ;-)

Uli has a point. We can now change the tutorial and explain that the
docstring of grok.Application subclasses will appear in the admin UI.
Just because we didn't think of it when we wrote grokwiki doesn't mean
it's not a good idea :). I think docstrings are actually a very neat way
of getting some explanatory text into the UI.