[Grok-dev] Grok 0.10 released!

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Aug 21 19:38:55 EDT 2007

Hi there,

After a long and slight desperate struggle (together with Philipp) to
make the buildout work properly on Windows too, I've now released Grok
0.10! Thanks go to Jim Fulton for the last bits of information required
to make the buildout work.

It's on the cheeseshop:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/grok

It's time for a news section on the grok.zope.org homepage, by the way.
Perhaps someone can take a look at it, perhaps move some of the stuff on
to other pages, and add in a simple news section where we can do release
announcements and the like.

This version of grok includes the admin interface, and a whole slew of
other things.

I'm happy that we're making progress on the Windows support issues too.
I certainly hope that doesn't mean that I or Philipp will become the
main supporters of the Windows platform, though. We're looking for
volunteers who want to help make sure it works on Windows.

It's also a major step on the way to doing proper release management for
Grok. Main lesson learned from our latest release struggles: while we've
made enormous progress, we aren't fully there yet with our egg-based
story. Due to the Windows requirement, we now really feel the need to
start pegging down version numbers for our release. We want to make
using grok as easy as possible, which means that we the developers do
the work in making it work on all supported platforms, including
Windows. It needs to be easy. At the same time we don't want to give up
flexibility for those people who want to use other versions of various
dependencies. How to resolve this? Eventually I will write a longer mail
about that.