[Grok-dev] Re: is automatic context detection harmful?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 24 14:46:52 EDT 2007

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> I agree with Brandon that grok.context should become mandatory, so
> that we'd have one canonical way of doing that.
>
> The main reason for me would be to make grok easier to explain.

We don't have to make it mandatory to make grok easier to explain. We
should simply update our introductory examples to always mention it. In
particular, I've found that showing example code that has *all* the
possible grok directives you can ever put on a grok.View works very
well. People who've never seen grok immediately grasp what the view is
for, what its URL name will be, what the security is like, etc.. Then,
in a later step, we can explain that it's ok to leave these directives
out for the sake of convenience.

Martijn and I have discussed this already and we agree that the tutorial
(and the boilerplate generated by grokproject) should be adjusted.