[Grok-dev] Re: Pushing for 1.0

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Dec 19 07:28:34 EST 2007

Tim Terlegård wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>>
>> In other words, I think it would be very good to see if we can start
>> the new year with a 1.0 release of Grok!
>>
>> What kind of issues do you think we really should address before going
>> 1.0?
>
> What is 1.0 supposed to be, a stable release or something we want to brag
> to everyone about?

Like JW, I prefer a stable release. No new features. Let's just release
what we have now (after having fixed the outstanding bugs, of course).
We should also update the tutorial (Luciano?!?) and finally get the
reference online (JW, Uli?!?).

> In order to brag about this cool grok there are three things I miss:
>   * viewlets

Definitely post 1.0.

>   * grokproject doing WSGI out of the box

I vote post 1.0, unless somebody wants to work on it right now.

>   * a different security policy where I can put permissions on models
>     instead of views. If I have 4 models and 100 views it may be better to
>     protect the data by putting require on the models instead of the views.
>     But maybe this already works?

It does, sorta. But it's very convoluted because of the way the Zope 3
publication machinery is set up. It was actually one of the first things
that were written when Zope 3 was started and it doesn't even come close
to using the component architecture in a way that you'd want it to.

I think, in the long term, much good could come out of collaborating
with repoze and their approach to "exploding" the publication.

Anyway, to summarize, I think we should simply
* fix all outstanding issues in the collector
* update the tutorial
* get the reference up-to-date and online
* do a conservative 1.0 release