[Grok-dev] Re: Working towards a 0.9 release

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 27 12:25:32 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> It's time to start thinking and working towards a first release of grok.
>  Looking at https://launchpad.net/grok/0.9/+specs, I can see that
>
> * Code-wise, we seem to be almost there, all the features were
> implemented but one: I've put the status of the grok-admin-ui to
> "started" instead of "implemented" as I don't know how complete the
> current implementation is in terms of our goals. I tried to comment this
> a little bit on
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/grok/+spec/grok-admin-ui, perhaps
> others can chime in and decide whether this is good enough for now or
> whether more needs to happen (and if so, what and who does it).

I've updated this text with my opinions. I think we're almost there for
0.9. We just need a way to:

* remove installed applications

* when you install an application with a name that is already in use,
get a sensible error message.

* provide a default index view for new applications created with
grokproject. Perhaps a grokproject task?

> * There are also two more items on the spec list that, by the way, don't
> seem to have an explicit target release set to 0.9. Let's pretend for
> now they're part of the 0.9 release anyway:
>
>   simple-tutorial: something was started in doc/tutorial.txt. I see that
>      a todolist example was chosen. I happened to choose the same
>      example for the snow sprint and could pad things out here so that
>      we have at least something. (It would look a lot like what I wrote
>      for the screencast beta I did a while ago, see
>      http://www.archive.org/details/grok_todo_part1).

I chose the todolist example based on your screencast. :) I changed my
mind however and went back to something similar to
doc/design/grok_beginner.txt, going through basic web programmer use
cases without an actual demo application.

Perhaps we can change it later, but writing a demo application which
goes through all these use cases may feel a bit contrived, and the demo
code is harder to read after all the setup.

>   simple-website: I don't think it would be too hard to get a DNS entry
>      for grok.zope.org and a really really simple website up and
>      running.

Agreed, shouldn't be too hard.

> Then again, it should look at least a little pretty and
>      feature our mascot in order to generate buzz.

Agreed.

> Do we want to punt on
>      the website for 0.9 and just use CheeseShop or could we volunteer
>      somebody yo come up with a simple design? I guess once we got a
>      design we could all chip for the website contents (which could be
>      generated from reStructuredText and be served statically for
>      now...). Either way, we'll have to get a web site at *some* point,
>      so we could just as well get started now.

I'm fine with punting and going for the cheeseshop for now. If someone
steps up and writes the content/design of a simple web page, I can help
getting it on grok.zope.org, however.