[Grok-dev] Re: Apache support for Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jan 11 13:55:46 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[mod_zope]
>> How stable it is? Do you think it could hold up in a production
>> environment? I would be willing to take a look at it.
>
> It's a prototype, but I don't see why it couldn't be used in a
> production environment. The version of wsgiref it uses is probably
> outdated. Perhaps there's also a newer mod_python WSGI bridge than the
> one I used (wsgi.py).
>
> One thing that one needs to be aware of: Apache typically starts a bunch
> of Python interpreters (one per Apache process I think). Zope 3 needs to
> load a lot of bootstrap configuration (ZCML) when it starts up. It also
> needs to access the ZODB.

> The easiest configuration would therefore be
> to tell Apache to ever only start 1 Python interpreter.

Can this be done in a shared hosting environment? Or would you be
telling Apache to only start one process? I assume it still starts
threads, right?

> An alternative
> would be to load several and use ZEO (but then you need a daemon process
> again).

Equivalent to the setup where a RDB using application has a daemon
process for the RDB. Hosting providers know to deliver, say, MySQL, but
there isn't one in the world that delivers ZEO server for us to connect
to. :)

One way to solve this would be to start working on our RDB-backed
version of Zope that can do without the ZODB entirely.

Any other ideas to make deploying in a shared hosting environment more
possible? It would be nice if there were some hack that would make Zope
3 + ZODB work in a fairly standard shared hosting setup.