[Grok-dev] How do I reference a common template in the statics folder?

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Thu Jul 5 15:31:00 EDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> Should we include a little section about macros into the tutorial? Or a
> mini-howto?  Obviously many people use them but seem to run into trouble
> referencing them right, while it's easy, once you got it. On the other
> hand macros are not part of Grok and described well at other places.

Hi, Uli!

Your assertion that "macros are not part of Grok" as a possible reason
why they should not be in the tutorial made me think that we must make
a decision about who is the audience for the Grok tutorials.

Perhaps the audience you have in mind is "Zope 3 developers learning
Grok". I was thinking about "Web developers learning Grok". And
between the two there is at least another audience worth considering:
"Zope 2 developers learning Grok".

Even people who already know Zope 2 and macros have no idea where the
templates containing macros should be put and how they can be found in
a Zope 3 or Grok app. So that is definitely important for two of the
three audiences I mentioned.

I liked very much Martijn's idea of "tours" as a way of modularizing
the content of our tutorial. The official Java Tutorial by Sun [1] is
organized in "trails", and except for the basic ones, the rest are
very independent of each other. It's clear to me that macros have to
be one of our tours.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

The Zope 3 Developer's Handbook labels each chapter according to it's
difficulty using words to describe the reader: "newcomer", "sprinter",
"contributor", "core developer". That is very useful to make it easier
for readers to jump around the chapters.

Maybe our "tours" could be labeled as well according to their audience
as well. We could have:
- "Python developer": a web developer who knows Python but not Zope 2 or 3
- "Zope 2 developer"
- "Zope 3 developer"
Some tours would be aimed at more than one audience.

Cheers,

Luciano