[Grok-dev] Re: Help installing grok2html

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jul 18 16:12:42 EDT 2007

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> In order to document the issue I've setup a clean Ubuntu 7.04 in a
> VMware VM, installed the python2.4 and python2.4-dev packages, then
> setup Grok per instructions in the tutorial and everything worked fine
> so far.

Note that it is generally recommended to stay away from the system's
Python on some platforms. This definitely includes Mac OS X, but it
seems that Ubuntu can go on this list as well. Not because of this
particular problem, it is clearly your fault ;) (see below), but because
of other tricky issues.

> Also, it's worth pointing out that running the doc/setup.py downloads
> all over the packages that grokproject had already pulled... I could
> try to fix this but I'd need some hand-holding to do it as I am still
> quite ignorant regarding the new setup infrastructure.

Well, sorry mate, but you're not going to get far by being ignorant.
We've been using buildout for grok since the beginning. It's not like
this is news or anything.

> luciano at ub704:~/grok/doc$ sudo python2.4 setup.py build
> [... snip half dozen lines of output ...]
> luciano at ub704:~/grok/doc$ sudo python2.4 setup.py install
> [...snip 1000's of lines...]

Why are you doing this? After a checkout of grok, you simply bootstrap
the buildout and then run bin/buildout. This is documented in INSTALL.txt!

You will then get a bin/grok2html script. No need to mess around by
calling setup.py yourself.