[Grok-dev] Re: AssertionError on install on WinXP

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jun 6 05:27:55 EDT 2007

Shane Graber wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Grok on my Windows XP laptop.  I downloaded
> the Zope3.3 executable from Zope.org, installed it, and followed up by
> installing easy_install and grokproject per the instructions on
> grok.zope.org.  All seemed to install with no problems.  However, when
> I do a
>
> C:\Python24\Scripts>  grokproject --with-zope3="C:\zope3\" Sample

grokproject is unfortuantely not supported on Windows.

> The program will run for a bit and then spit out an AssertionError:

Yup, and that's just the start...

> I'm at a loss as to how to correct this problem.  Could anyone point
> me in the right direction on getting Grok working properly?  I'm
> really eager to try out Grok after reading through the tutorial!

1. After having installed Zope 3.3, create a normal instance using the
mkzopeinstance script.

2. Download the grok tarball, unzip it and put the grok package into
that instance's lib/python directory.

3. Create an INSTANCE/etc/package-includes/grok-meta.zcml file with the
following contents::

     <include package="grok" file="meta.zcml" />

as well as an INSTANCE/etc/package-includes/grok-configure.zcml::

     <include package="grok" />

4. Create your own package in lib/python (don't forget the __init__.py)
and place in all the code (e.g. the one from the tutorial) in it. Create
a configure.zcml in that package with the following contents::

     <grok package="." xmlns="http://namespaces.zope.org/grok" />

5. Create an INSANCE/etc/package-includes/YOURPACKAGE-configure.zcml::

     <include package="YOURPACKAGE" />