[Grok-dev] Re: megrok.five and Zope 3.3 (a.k.a. the one in Zope 2.10)?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jun 20 06:07:56 EDT 2007

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> Hi, does megrok.five and grok run with Zope 3.3?

Grok is currently designed to work with Zope 3.3.

> And specifically, under Zope 2.10?

Grok used to work on Zope 2.10 until we introduced a dependency on
zope.app.catalog which sadly isn't distributed with Zope 2. We only
realized this recently. You can, of course, install megrok.five and grok
into a Zope 2.10 and bring over Zope 3.3's zope.app.catalog package
manually. No guarantees though :).

We're working on bringing Grok to the eggified world of Zope 3.4. I have
also a distribution of Zope 2 in the works that pulls in a lot of third
party components using eggs. With that in place I think it'll be much
easier to have another serious attempt at this again.

> I have a blue-sky dream of writing Grok views for Plone content (even
> if I can't use the CMF-style skins with it), but let's start with the
> basics: getting a grokish content object inside the Zope2 object tree,
> and render grok views on top of it.

You're not the only with this dream :).

> Is it possible (in Zope 2.10)? If not, what would it take and should I
> even bother to try and move along that line?

Sure. I'd be especially interested in the combination of Archetypes and
Grok. I think a lot of the Archetypes junk could be replaced with nicer
grokkish things, but I lack experience with Archetypes (recent
experience that is). So, by all means, try it out, play with it and
report back. You won't have much hand-holding along the way, though :).