[Grok-dev] Re: Grok Summer of Code?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 5 11:46:51 EST 2007

Tim Terlegard wrote:
>> Since the Zope Foundation might be signing up as a mentoring
>> organization for the Google Summer of Code, how about getting a student
>> interested in a Grok-related project? Some potential projects for a student:
>
>> * Grok + SQLAlchemy
>> * Grok + Genshi templates
>> * Grok on Apache/mod_python hosting (more of a Zope3/ZODB topic)
>> * ...?
>
> Great idea. It would be dumb not to try to attract some students, as long
> as we have mentors.
>
> But what is actually grok specific about genshi support? Wouldn't Genshi
> automatically be available in grok if the genshi template support was
> added to Zope 3? Or is that too hard and adding it to grok would be 10
> times easier?

Sure, getting Genshi into Zope 3 would be a first step. Since Zope 3
doesn't impose much on template engines (they're just callables to Zope
3), that shouldn't be too hard. One of the hard parts will be
abstracting the whole template-finding code in Grok so that it supports
alternate template engines in a pluggable manner.

> Perhaps the same question is valid for grok + SQLAlchemy?

There's z3c.zalchemy which is very nice. But it could be even nicer,
especially for the Grok integration. There's lots of stuff you currently
have to write (some ZCML, some Python). I'd hope a grokkish way of
integrating SQLAlchemy with Grok will revolve around Grok's use of
defaults (things like mapping classes to SQL tables by default based on
naming schemes come to my mind).

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5