[Grok-dev] Re: grok tutorial

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Wed Mar 7 01:49:17 EST 2007

Some feedback on the Grok tutorial (now up at http://
grok.quintagroup.com/tutorial.html):

  * The tutorial is aimed at a very newbie developer - awesome! I
spend a lot of time at work assisting developers who are very new to
both Python and Web development in general, so it's great to have
some very basic docs for Grok that won't make them run away and hide :)

* When ReST is converted to HTML, the sidebars are styled with
"float: right". I've set the headlines to "clear: both" so we don't
get run-on sidebars that float over other elements of the page and
generally look weird. However, with "float: right" the sidebar should
be started *just after* the headline. If they are at the bottom of
the passage they are floating all by themselves. I've moved them
around for now in the static page, but next time the HTML is
regenerated they should be moved up.

  * This is kind of a minor, picky thing, but I'm not fond of the use
of semicolons in the body text. Many years ago I used to do graphic
design for a magazine, and we had an editor who was very opposed to
any forms of punctuation other than the comma and the period. His
point was that everyone had a different idea of what a semicolon
meant, and even if you were dealing with folks who were educated in
the forms of grammer, the semicolon is a still vague creature that
can't decide if it wants to be a period or a comma.

  * The "Installing easy_install" link in the sidebar is kind of
long, and breaks out of the page on my browser. I could try fudging
around with the CSS, but it would probably read better if this:

  If you don't already have easy_install available, you can find the
script to set it up here:

Was rewritten as:

  If you don't already have easy_install available, you can find the
script on the [link to site here]PEAK EasyInstall page[end link].

  * The tutorial page is quite large - lots of information is good,
but it'd be nice to break this up into several pages. I'd like to
configure/skin a Plone Help Center and drop that tutorial into
Tutorial content type object, but I'm going to do some more touching
up on the static site before thinking about how to tackle a dynamic
Grok site.

  * The tutorial is looking great so far!