[Grok-dev] Re: Heads up: Renamed AddForm to Form

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Mar 16 11:10:29 EDT 2007

Hi there,

Philipp and I just had a long discussion on IRC to try to work this out.

We've concluded we'll proceed with his inheritance-based approach (as
opposed to the composition-based design). Philipp will amend the code so
it's very clear that we're only doing implementation inheritance from
formlib's base class, not interface inheritance.

We break interface inheritance as Grok does its own thing with update()
and render() altogether, so we shadow those with Grok and rename the
ones in formlib to form_render() and form_update().

Philipp will also add some tests to make sure that update() works, that
render() is either forbidden in subclasses or allowed without breaking
things, and that redirecting behaves the same way as for views.

Overall goal is to allow formlib-style customization for grok.Form and
friends, while retaining the assumptions people have when they subclass
grok.View.