[Grok-dev] Re: Portlets (and maybe other skinning).

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:44:02 EDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> Well, of course you register it for an interface or a class. But you
> don't get to choose it. The developer writing viewlets does by saying
> something like this:
>
> class MyViewlet(Viewlet):
>      grok.context(ClassOrInterface)
>
> This can be left out if ClassOrInterface can be assumed, like with
> views and adapters.

Eh, but if you don't get to choose it, which ClassOrInterface should it be?
I'm completely confused now.

> > The idea is to make support for layers, and then look them up withing
> > the layers and skins and have a special marker interface to select it.
>
> That still doesn't have anything to do with the meaningless name
> "main_template".

Well, it needed to have  filename. So I called it something. Maybe I
should have called it "onbadonkabadom.pt" to make it obvious that it
was meaningless. :-)

> > I have no idea of how to do layers and skinning in a way that is easy
> > and fast, and does not involve changing all templates.
>
> I do. http://openplans.org/projects/deliverance :)

Well, it is possible if we do one separate request per viewlet. But I
don't like that. And I don't like make Deliverance required for Grok.

> > Which is why we need to decide on a way of doing this pretty soon.
>
> Why is there a rush? It's obviously good to be thinking about stuff
> and to move forward, but why do we have to decide on something? And
> why soon? I think Grok provides us with an excellent platform to do
> some experiments that have not been possible in the grown Zope
> platform for a long time.

Because until we have done this decision, Grok is useless.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64